Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Implementation of Capacity Planning and MRP II
05-26-2013, 02:26 PM,
Implementation of Capacity Planning and MRP II
Hi,

I would like to know if the webERP development team has plan to implement capacity planning and MRP II in the coming update of the webERP system? With capacity planning and MRP II features, webERP can b applicable to those SME with active manufacturing activities. We are expecting the development.

Pete
05-27-2013, 07:16 AM,
RE: Implementation of Capacity Planning and MRP II
Hi Pete,

I am not aware of anyone working on this currently.

My own view of this is that there are a number of factors that affect capacity and that attempting to model this in software is so complex and fraught with difficulty that it is better to focus on the practical stresses in the manufacturing facility to identify the bottlenecks/constraints and eliminate those, rather than throw money at additional labour to overcome identified software/theoretical modeled capacity constraints. Too many assumptions are required in the software I have used previously and the work/input required is so extensive and the results questionable.

The factory floor is where capacity needs to be managed IMHO.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
05-27-2013, 11:07 AM,
Hi Phil,

Thank you for your input. As a software developer, your justification is reasonable. However, in real industrial environment, capactity of shop floor is a genuine problem that industrialists need to manage and plan, even in the college capacity planning/MRP II is a subject that students and professors need to tackle with, and it is a critical in cost and delivery efficiency. As a webERP user, I would like to seek for your valuble suggestion and advise in handling the shop floor capacity problem by applying webERP.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Pete

(05-27-2013, 07:16 AM)phil Wrote: Hi Pete,

I am not aware of anyone working on this currently.

My own view of this is that there are a number of factors that affect capacity and that attempting to model this in software is so complex and fraught with difficulty that it is better to focus on the practical stresses in the manufacturing facility to identify the bottlenecks/constraints and eliminate those, rather than throw money at additional labour to overcome identified software/theoretical modeled capacity constraints. Too many assumptions are required in the software I have used previously and the work/input required is so extensive and the results questionable.

The factory floor is where capacity needs to be managed IMHO.

05-27-2013, 03:13 PM,
I guess what I am saying here is from a reality/business perspective, that capacity planning is best handled outside the system ... IMHO.
I am aware that some ERP systems purport to be able to handle this - from what I have seen they do not do an adequate job and the inputs required are way out of proportion to what is sensible and the theoretical capacity plan of the system often bears no relation to the real capacity constraints on the factory floor.

Some of my experience is with plastic injection moulding - and there were several machines that a die could be put on and the loading of each machine needed to be taken into account - the die changes and run sizes and sequence of assembly for subsequent dependent assemblies all made such planning mindlessly complex. Better to drive this all through "pull" and KISS.

Then work on the bottlenecks put the effort into faster die changes or another die/ faster machine/machine upgrade etc.

There is no facility in webERP to handle capacity requirements planning.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz