Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Warehouse management, bin locations, barcode scanning, etc
04-24-2014, 01:18 PM,
RE: Warehouse management, bin locations, barcode scanning, etc
how to make a record using barcode scanning tool
09-04-2014, 10:12 PM,
(05-14-2013, 01:59 AM)Buz Wrote: Hi Phil, Exson and any other webERPers interested in WMS:

I designed and wrote the WMS for a mid-range wholesale distributor (about $75 MM annual revenue) about 15 yrs ago and managed the whole huge, custom ERP project, so I may be able to help a little.

WMS design can be tricky, but surprisingly, it's not code intensive. Another surprise: it's pretty independent of the rest of the ERP solution, mostly because my design did NOT examine inventory at order entry time. The client bought out-of-stock inventory from a re-distributor at end of day to satisfy incomplete orders, before picking. My client refused to disappoint customers.

The system kept track of all inventory locations by barcode (each bin location was also barcoded). It knew how much free space was available in each bin and so was able to recommend putaway locations, with operator override. Picking was driven by route; the operator was directed to each location to pick items. It would typically take one pass through the warehouse to pick a route because putaway was randomized, so it was likely that the next pick item was nearby.

Cycle count is a must and was included in my implementation. One CEO I spoke to said he hadn't counted in several years because he knew they could never reconcile. My client did a physical count one a year. It took from Fri evening until the next Mon morning with a crew of about 50 counters. They'd typically count three times because the counts differed so much; they accepted an error rate of about 20% as normal. After implementation, cycle counts took about 8 hours with three counters ... during regular business hours and with an error rate of less than 0.3%.

We used touch-screen computers mounted on forklifts. No paper. It should be easier and much less costly today. The local warehouse was about 150,000 SF and had a crew of about 72 workers. After implementation and lots and LOTS of tweaks, headcount went down to about 40.

So it was challenging but fun.

If you're interested, I'll ask my old client if I can share screen shots and some description with you. I'm sure he will not agree to share the code (it's 4GL code anyway, so would not be much use).

I initially looked at webERP as result of indirect recommendation from Mo Kelly; I did this to support a friend who has an interest in ERP. And now I'm getting sucked in further and further ...

Regards anyway,
Buz

Buz,

I'm intrigued by this.

I'm very new to it - been tasked by my company to identify the coordinates of every bin in the warehouse. The bins do not follow a numerical order in many instances and bin quantities can only be checked by looking in the database which depends on manual adjustments.

What I'm looking for is a means - say a programmable bar code reader - into which we could enter the coordinates for a bin location, regardless of where it was. Then when someone who doesn't work in the warehouse could type in the stock code and be directed to the appropriate bin.

Does such a thing exist? Or do you have a better idea? We need office people to be able to find things easily in the warehouse for "drop-in" customers.

Btw, the company is very small. The warehouse has perhaps 5K items.
01-03-2015, 07:51 AM,
Has anybody done any customizations to allow or tracking where product is (outside of bin field on stock status).
I need to be able to locate inventory in the warehouse and it might not all be in the same place. Even a particular lot may be in 2 separate places (1 box here, 1 box there).

I need the ability for both controlled and noncontrolled items to say Qty 123 of Product ABC (and if lot controlled Lot XYZ) is located in container / Row 1

So I was thinking of a new child table (similar to how stockserialitems is to locstock) that would include the container # as well.
And I would need to modify P/O receiving, picking, and shipping and inventory adjustments, work order issues, some reports etc to include this table.

Also create a function (like stock transfer) to move Qty of a batch between 2 containers

I would of course use config options to turn on and off for people that don't want to use it.
Anybody done anything similar they care to share before I get started?
Anybody have any input/feedback before I begin?
01-03-2015, 08:02 AM,
I think Exson went down this track - not sure if it was ever completed satisfactorily - it was a large mission as every inventory transaction needs to record where the stock came from or was put - we got as far as a switch for the inventory location to determine if warehouse management was on or off!! I think this field is still there.
There is plenty of discussion I think on the wiki... I have been asked for it a few times but never had the incentive to dig right in for as long and hard as necessary to have a go.
http://www.weberp.org/wiki/WareHouseMana...Discussion

Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
01-07-2017, 01:21 AM,
I know this is an old thread..... but I found this project via google searching and this thread.

Ive looked over the site but can not determine if weberp did eventually create a WMS using the theories discussed here?

I am in a position where I find myself attempting to automate an existing warehouse with our own WMS we are attempting to build.

Any pointers/info would be most helpful.

Thank you!