Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payments.php Modification
03-26-2013, 08:09 PM,
Payments.php Modification
Hi,

I have tried to modify payments.php for Supplier payments from the Supplier Menu page such that i can add the tag functionality to it. I have been able to add the "Select Tag" field and display the current tags in the database.

what i've not been able to do is to get the tag be submitted into the gltrans table. every other detail is inserted in the database except the tag.

Please if i want the tag field inserted how do i go about modifying the payments.php script?
03-27-2013, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:12 AM by phil.)
RE: Payments.php Modification
(03-26-2013, 08:09 PM)turpsy Wrote: Hi,

I have tried to modify payments.php for Supplier payments from the Supplier Menu page such that i can add the tag functionality to it. I have been able to add the "Select Tag" field and display the current tags in the database.

what i've not been able to do is to get the tag be submitted into the gltrans table. every other detail is inserted in the database except the tag.

Please if i want the tag field inserted how do i go about modifying the payments.php script?

Tim has asked me to post this:

"The tags should be used for expenses and receipts only. The payment of a supplier is a reduction in a liability, and so shouldn't be tagged. It is the supplier invoice which should be tagged.

Thanks
Tim"

Course View Towers,
Plot 21 Yusuf Lule Road,
Kampala
T +256 (0) 312 314 418
M +256 (0) 752 963 325
http://www.weberpafrica.com
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM,
I understand the tag function in weberp. What I am saying is that for our system, we need to also tag the payments we make to suppliers.

It has become a necessary feature for us, we just need to find a way for the script to update the tag in the gltrans when we post payments for suppliers.

The reason is we need to be able to see at a glance from account inquiries which particular project a payment was made to. We can't do that now as invoices are not payments.

Please Tim and whoever understands this, help. Phil, please help. thanks
03-27-2013, 11:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM by phil.)
(03-27-2013, 10:59 PM)turpsy Wrote: I understand the tag function in weberp. What I am saying is that for our system, we need to also tag the payments we make to suppliers.

It has become a necessary feature for us, we just need to find a way for the script to update the tag in the gltrans when we post payments for suppliers.

The reason is we need to be able to see at a glance from account inquiries which particular project a payment was made to. We can't do that now as invoices are not payments.

Please Tim and whoever understands this, help. Phil, please help. thanks

Should be just a matter of filling in the tag field in gltrans.

Can you send your amended Payments.php to me at fahad.hatib at gmail.com and then I can just take a look for you?

03-28-2013, 12:31 AM,
Finally figured out the code.

I had not explicitly defined the tag field in the Session variable! so the $_POST was reading 0, once i defined that, the script worked just fine.

I think this extends the tag functionalty in weberp. Now, we can extend this functionalty to other scripts too like the PcclaimExpensesFromTab.php and include tag field also in PcReportTab.php too.

I'll work on them too.

thanks Daudi, but after some days, finally, i've figured it out. I can make this available for other users who might need them too.
03-28-2013, 11:59 PM,
(03-28-2013, 12:31 AM)turpsy Wrote: Finally figured out the code.

I had not explicitly defined the tag field in the Session variable! so the $_POST was reading 0, once i defined that, the script worked just fine.

I think this extends the tag functionalty in weberp. Now, we can extend this functionalty to other scripts too like the PcclaimExpensesFromTab.php and include tag field also in PcReportTab.php too.

I'll work on them too.

thanks Daudi, but after some days, finally, i've figured it out. I can make this available for other users who might need them too.

Hi, in the petty cash the Tag is selected at the time the expenses are authorised, in PcAuthorizeExpenses.php
03-31-2013, 11:45 AM,
(03-28-2013, 11:59 PM)etabaraz Wrote:
(03-28-2013, 12:31 AM)turpsy Wrote: I think this extends the tag functionalty in weberp. Now, we can extend this functionalty to other scripts too like the PcclaimExpensesFromTab.php and include tag field also in PcReportTab.php too.

Hi, in the petty cash the Tag is selected at the time the expenses are authorised, in PcAuthorizeExpenses.php

Hi all:

tags are ALREADY working on Petty Cash Module.

When you set up an expense code, it gets assigned to a GL account and a tag, so all expenses with that expense code gets the tag assigned, so, no need to modify the petty cash module to use tags ;-)
Regards,
Pak Ricard
04-03-2013, 09:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM by phil.)
[/quote]

Hi all:

tags are ALREADY working on Petty Cash Module.

When you set up an expense code, it gets assigned to a GL account and a tag, so all expenses with that expense code gets the tag assigned, so, no need to modify the petty cash module to use tags ;-)

[/quote]

Hi Ricard, you are quite right as ever. For some reason I thought the tag was chosen when it was authorised.

Thinking about it, is this perhaps a better place to have it, because in theory the same expense could have different tags applied?

Not sure, would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks
Tim
04-05-2013, 07:33 PM,
(04-03-2013, 09:18 PM)etainsee Wrote: Thinking about it, is this perhaps a better place to have it, because in theory the same expense could have different tags applied?

Hi Tim:

We designed like this because normally GL accounts are more cryptic than labels set to expenses.

So let's say you have a GL account "Electricity expenses". GL accounts are really stable (probably by law in some countries), but tags can come and go (projects, business units, shops, workshops, etc)

So we set up expenses for:
ELECTRICITY-SHOP-A
ELECTRICITY-SHOP-B
ELECTRICITY-SHOP-C

and it is assigned to the eprson responsable for that TAG (in our case shops, but could be project manager, business unit manager, etc).

In the GL it all goes to "electricity expenses", but every manager posts it automatically to the correct tag without mistake.

Keep in mind that in PC module we have different types of tabs, so any given user could have N tabs for different bank accounts or different purposes, and can be opened, closed at anytime (well, after authorizing all the expenses), so let say:
User X now is manager of TAG-A, TAG-B, so gets a PC tab with the expenses for TAG-A, TAG-B but no others.
When TAG-B is closed for any reason, just delete the expenses codes associated with TAG-B, and ready to go.

I really see no advantage to do it on the other way, as then we are "almost" duplicating the GL functionality. PC module was developed to be used for final users without any accounting knowlegde.

Anyway, as usual, if any other approach is better, I'm open to change my mind :-)
Regards,
Pak Ricard
04-05-2013, 08:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM by phil.)
Hi Ricard,

Yes I understand and like the reasoning behind the expense code. In fact I would like to extend that to other areas of webERP. The particular use case I have in mind here is for something like motor vehicle fuel. If for example I have one GL account for motor vehicle fuel, but a tag for each vehicle, eg T123 ABC and T987ZYX then I could get away with having the one expense code in Petty cash, and then tag the expense for each vehicle when the expenses were authorised. The only person who would see the tag would be the authoriser. Does this make any sense to you?

Thanks
Tim

Course View Towers,
Plot 21 Yusuf Lule Road,
Kampala
T +256 (0) 312 314 418
M +256 (0) 752 963 325
http://www.weberpafrica.com