Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Orders With Multiple Items - Context?
11-28-2018, 06:03 PM,
RE: Work Orders With Multiple Items - Not Working
Thanks Paul I have changed the code.

Tim
11-28-2018, 07:42 PM,
Thinking aloud here, at the moment we group sum the component quantities by work order. Would it be sufficient to sum by WO/Item instead? I think this solves the phantom parts issue, whilst resolving Paul's issue with Labour and overhead items.

I'll see if I can change the code for this now, and publish it for people to look at and give their views as this is a complex subject and I could easily miss something

Tim
11-28-2018, 09:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 10:21 PM by VortecCPI.)
Exactly. If a foreman is looking at WO items he needs to see Issues and Status in the context of each item on the WO, not the entire WO. Costing is also an issue as it shows a report for the entire WO but, again, how about Costing for a WO item? If Costing is off and we have a variance there is currently no way to know which WO item is causing the variance. For example... Two WO items each have four hours of labour. One line item is issued five hours and the item is issued three hours. Costing shows no variance yet we had an issue in the context of each WO item. The same issue can arise with respect to other labour types such as overhead as well as consumables and materials that overlap in BoMs.

Again... Not trying to be critical here... Just trying to find a solution to allow visibility at the WO item level. In my opinion all pages/reports should be granular to the WO item level or we should limit WOs to just one item so we have good visibility with what we have now.

And... Addition of Work Centres to all WO-related pages and PDF output. Since Work Centres are at the BoM level should not they appear on each line item in the WO PDF? This is what I have done but no good for mixed WCs others may be using...

https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker
11-29-2018, 12:39 AM,
I think the issues is fairly straightforward. Can you try the attached and see if it meets your requirements?

Tim

.php   WorkOrderIssue.php (Size: 48.16 KB / Downloads: 4)
11-29-2018, 12:56 AM,
Off to a meeting but will test as soon as I get back... Thank you!
11-29-2018, 01:18 AM,
I should make the point that it should be tested in conjunction with my new WorkOrderEntry.php script.

The Status script just shows the status of the individual top level item that was selected in SelectWorkOrder.php. However the WorkOrderIssue.php script shows issues for all top level items. This seems to me to be inconsistent and confusing, but if we are to use one or the other which should it be?

Tim
11-29-2018, 02:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 03:33 AM by VortecCPI.)
Looks good so far and a very nice solution compromise. Is there any need to pass the StockID to this script since the context is still for the entire WO. I guess we should now do the same for Work Order Status?

So now we have the issue in that an additional issue of material to just one of the items still can not be identified. The issue is to the top-level WO but what if we need to issue material to just one of the WO items? Perhaps because costing is always at the top level of the WO we care not?
Just me two cents...

As a foreman, accountant, or even an owner I think visibility at the WO item level is necessary. It is the only way to determine and identify actual variance. Any major variance is cause for some sort of action in my book...
11-29-2018, 05:09 AM,
If you need to issue a material for just one of the WO items then you need to have a separate WO for that item!
multiple item WOs are for items that are made together.

e.g.
item 1: an aluminium box
item 2: aluminium off-cuts

or out of chemical processing
item 1: refined petrol
item 2: tar

The combined BOM of both items includes sheet aluminium and the sum of both BOMs is the total aluminium requirement.

It could be that you are trying to use multiple item work orders for discrete items that are not outputs of the same process?
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
11-29-2018, 05:17 AM,
Phil: The item could be a labour cost which you wouldn't necessarily issue together. You could also over/under issue against one item on the work order but not the other. It is not hard to split it out, just needs some basic decisions taken on how.

Paul: Is it sufficient to have the entry in stock movements just state the WO number and top level item in the reference?

Tim
11-29-2018, 05:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-29-2018, 05:26 AM by VortecCPI.)
Yes I believe you are 100% correct about that. My testing was just that and I was not being keenly aware of context.

But let's be sure... Let's say we are manufacturing as per above:

item 1: an aluminium box
item 2: aluminium off-cuts

Both items require consumables such as weld wire. We fail xray and end up grinding the weld and using more wire than anticipated. While that cost does belong at the top item it would still be nice to know where the cost came from.

Let's say we use extra weld wire on #1 but use less weld wire on #2. While the variance at the top may be zero it does not always mean things went the way we planned.

Perhaps that is a bit too deep?
Please rest assured I am NOT trying to make webERP something it is not intended to be as designed. I am simply trying to make sure I fully understand the context in which Work Orders were designed for use. Some of the issues I have encountered are due to my not knowing the design of the system and I am grateful all your input and insight.