Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Orders With Multiple Items - Context?
11-28-2018, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 12:08 AM by VortecCPI.)
RE: Work Orders With Multiple Items - Not Working
So... I have added logic to show Labour, Material, and Overhead costs to WO items that have no BoMs associated with them:

Does anybody feel this should continue to be pursued? To do so requires many more GL entries to support WO Issue and Receive.

Looks like upon WO receive std cost for material is set to zero. Again it seems M parts without BoMs should be disallowed on WOs.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker
11-28-2018, 12:08 AM,
I agree that work ordering is limited. As I remember, Phil wrote it over a decade ago for Lindsay Harris with his specific use case in mind and it hasn't been substantially improved on since then.

My preference is always for incrementally improving these things. identify a weakness, improve it, identify another weakness improve that, etc.

If you have scripts that you have already changed I would be happy to review them. I did do some work on the work order entry screen (removing the fact that it assigns a new wo number as soon as you click on the menu option was one thing I changed) and I can throw those changes into the mix as well.

Tim
11-28-2018, 12:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 12:45 AM by VortecCPI.)
Tim... Thank you for additional input. Before I share my scripts and confuse everybody I would like to see if we can agree on all the things stated above. Particularly, and in an effort to get a good start:

+ Only one (1) item per Work Order
+ Only items with BoMs allowed on Work Orders
+ Labour and Overhead costs hidden for "M" parts with no BoMs
+ Labour and Overhead costs are via BoM items with those types of Stock categories

This will tidy things up and allow most all the scripts to work as-is. All we need is a little logic to hide Labour and Overhead costs and allow only "M" parts with BoMs.
We are getting ready to implement Work Orders so I have spent MANY days testing Use Cases around this feature and making changes to the scripts so they will work for our context. I can assure all of you the scripts need to be limited per the above list to function in a suitable manner for most all users.
I can do all of the above work and submit it if we all agree it is a proper course of action...
I would really like to know more about Lindsay Harris usage context...
11-28-2018, 01:00 AM,
Isn't the problem with multiple items on a work order only occurring when the items share components? Forgive me if I am wrong, I am just coming to this fresh today. If that is so, couldn't we just block this case on a temporary basis until we have a proper solution? This would help with backwards compatibility as well.

Tim
11-28-2018, 01:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 01:32 AM by VortecCPI.)
Tim... You are correct in that the issue only occurs when the items share components and I welcome your fresh and simple approach as to a solution. The problem is that most all BoMs will have Labour and/or Overhead and this causes grief.

The only other piece is when we have Labour and/or Overhead at the parent part level (not BoM) as this data gets lost when WO items are received. Easy to prove... Create a WO with an "M" part with BoM and no Labour and/or Overhead at the parent level. Receive the items and check inventory value. Now add Labour and/or Overhead at the parent level and repeat the process and you will see inventory value is off because Labour and/or Overhead at the parent level are ignored during receipt. See here: http://www.weberp.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=8253

Hence my request to make Labour and Overhead Std Cost fields hidden for "M" parts with BoMs. Or... Exclude parts from WOs that have Labour and Overhead Std Cost values assigned... Like I stated earlier... Many Use Cases to consider...
11-28-2018, 01:52 AM,
The requirements are calculated in the WoRealRequirements() function. Looking through this the summing of component parts across the work order was not part of the original functionality but was done at a later date when provision was added for phantom parts. It looks from the comments that a problem was occurring when phantom parts were being dissolved into the BOM.

Now from a quick reading of this, and without actually running trials, it seems it wouldn't be too hard to change for Labour/Overhead parts. The table worequirements has provision for each parent part to have it's own requirements so no DB changes would be needed.

Let me look further.

Tim
11-28-2018, 01:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 02:31 AM by VortecCPI.)
Ah... Very interesting... This is why I always try to get feedback from you guys...

I don't have enough experience with the code base to allow me to find the simplest solution...

Looking at WoRealRequirements() function now...
My other gripe with Work Orders is that nowhere do we have visibility as to the associated Work Centre(s)...
11-28-2018, 04:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 05:17 AM by VortecCPI.)
Okay... In an effort to keep things simple and to allow for backwards compatibility I have compromised on the whole Work Order and Work Centre thing. Depending upon what Tim finds I will hold back on all I have done on my end. In the mean time I have brought associated Work Centers to the Work Order level in that we can see if there is only one or several.

In our case I have also added Work Centre setup and Labour/Overhead to Work Order costing, including all the related GL entries at receipt.

Hopefully Tim can get us an answer on Labour and Overhead at parent level via WoRealRequirements() function...
11-28-2018, 08:33 AM,
Ok, in an effort to get this right once and for all I have re-done the entry script bringing it more into line with the purchase order and sales order methodology, and fixing several long term issues along the way.

DefineWOClass.php belongs in the includes directory and WorkOrderEntry.php in the main directory. These are attached for people to test, not to try in a live environment. The more testing the better.

.php   WorkOrderEntry.php (Size: 24.26 KB / Downloads: 4)

.php   DefineWOClass.php (Size: 10.83 KB / Downloads: 3)

Tomorrow I will get the requirements sorted.

Tim
11-28-2018, 09:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2018, 09:08 AM by VortecCPI.)
Thank you so much for your effort on this Tim. I will be on it very first thing tomorrow morning!
Small change needed at lines 195/196:

PHP Code:
$SQL "INSERT INTO woitems (wo,
                                            stockid,
                                            qtyreqd,
                                            stdcost,
                                            comments)
                                        VALUES (
                                            '" 
$_SESSION['WorkOrder' $Identifier]->OrderNumber "',
                                            '" 
$Item->StockId "',