Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internal Stock Request - Many Issues
02-12-2018, 12:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2018, 01:01 AM by TimSchofield.)
RE: Internal Stock Request - Many Issues
Well the previous/next buttons are probably a good example of how this happens. As I remember they were implemented by me at the instigation of the ICT manager of a missionary organisation in Tanzania in just one script that he wanted the facility in. This was about 10 years ago so the majority of the scripts having the item search in were already written and out there.

Obviously the theory is that at this point they should have been added into all the other scripts but in the FLOSS world this doesn't always happen, especially with changes as big as this (it is a lot of scripts), I was travelling a lot at that time and it just wasn't feasible but I judged the changes to that one script were pushing out to others. Since then they have got into some new scripts that have been written, and some old ones have been changed. However when people write new scripts they tend to base them on scripts already written, and if they choose a script that doesn't have the prev/next buttons in to base their new script on then the new script won't have them.

As an admin it is hard to know what to do with functionality someone gives you that doesn't conform necessarily with the webERP way of doing things. A great example is the MRP system which a company wrote for themselves and sent into us. This was brilliant work and advanced webERP considerably. However there were many ways it didn't conform. If we had asked the author to re-write it as we wanted it almost certainly wouldn't have happened so at the time Phil and I took the decision to include it. There are still issues with it as you have recently pointed out with the planned orders scripts, yet I think it was the correct decision to include it.

I'm not saying that this is the correct way of going about things, but it is in my experience the way it happens.

Tim

Messages In This Thread
RE: Internal Stock Request - Many Issues - by TimSchofield - 02-12-2018, 12:57 AM