Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inventory : different packaging for same item
12-30-2012, 03:11 AM,
Inventory : different packaging for same item
Hi,

I don't know if this is a simple thing or a complicated thing. But we have purchased items (say Oil) they come in a variety of packaging and sizes (15.68 liter container, 3 liter , 3.8 liters, 2 liters..etc)

Suppliers invoices (and order lines) have the item prices per their own packaging so if I create one item called "oil" with a unit of measure "liter" then when I enter the PO for the supplier and consequently receive the invoice from the supplier there will be some fraction differences.

Now if go on and create a different product for each supplier's pcakging then I will have different products that are only related by the category but nothing else when in effect they are used the same way. This will make it really hard for me to manage my usage.

Is there a way of creating "different packaing/unit of measure" for the same product?

Would assembly/kitset/manufactured help in anyway?
12-30-2012, 07:47 AM,
RE: Inventory : different packaging for same item
Yes indeed they would, in particular you want to use assemblies.

e.g. You buy oil in 100 litre drums - part code 100L

Now you create a code for a 1 litre bottle as an assembly. The assembly contains

0.01 x 100L
1 x BOTTLE

now when you sell a bottle, the stock of the components is reduced - there is never any stock for the assembly item itself. Now when you look as usage of 100L it is inclusive of all assembly item sales. You can also use the sales analysis to show the sales of the 1 litre bottles of oil.
The only real snag is that when you stock check you need to count the bottles as bottle stock and the l litre oil as 100L x 0.01
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM,
RE: Inventory : different packaging for same item
Thank you very much for your reply. I received a private message from another member suggesting using purchdata, I tried both options and purchdata seems more user friendly than assemblies and bills of materials, especially that I'm not using the manufacturing module yet.

However, purchdata only allows one item /supplier (primary key is on supplierid, stockid and effectivedate).

How can I adjust this to accept more than one pruchdata by supplier? what should I worry about?