Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Journal
12-08-2012, 07:08 AM,
General Journal
Could someone please tell me how to access the general journal?
We want to be able to view all of our entries in the general journal.
12-08-2012, 11:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-08-2012, 11:47 AM by phil.)
RE: General Journal
You can do inquiries by gl account - or list general ledger accounts.
Journals come from everywhere in the system ... all gl transactions are listed in the table gltrans. However, there is no report that simply lists all journals. You can drill down to view individual journals from the gl account inquiry.

You can view manually entered GL journals - from Main Menu -> General Ledger -> General Ledger Journal Inquiry
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
12-09-2012, 06:22 AM,
That seems very odd. The general journal is one of the first things that I learned about in my accounting classes. Are there any plans to add the general journal as a feature?

(12-08-2012, 11:02 AM)phil Wrote: You can do inquiries by gl account - or list general ledger accounts.
Journals come from everywhere in the system ... all gl transactions are listed in the table gltrans. However, there is no report that simply lists all journals. You can drill down to view individual journals from the gl account inquiry.

You can view manually entered GL journals - from Main Menu -> General Ledger -> General Ledger Journal Inquiry

12-09-2012, 06:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:28 AM by phil.)
(12-09-2012, 06:22 AM)dan123456 Wrote: That seems very odd. The general journal is one of the first things that I learned about in my accounting classes. Are there any plans to add the general journal as a feature?

(12-08-2012, 11:02 AM)phil Wrote: You can do inquiries by gl account - or list general ledger accounts.

Hi, you can view the General Journal by going to the General ledger module, and then choosing `Account Listing` to view as a pdf or `Account Listing to csv file` to view in a spreadsheet format.

Hope this helps,
Tim
12-11-2012, 04:34 AM,
Thank you for the response. However what was shown on the gl account report that you suggested is still not a general journal. For double entry accounting it is important to show how each transaction balances and this report does not seem to do this.

The general journal is fundamental to the bookkeeping/accounting cycle. It is in fact the first step in that cycle. It is important for security and preventing fraudulent activity. The journal also gives you a picture of what is happening with your company.

I really feel that the general journal is very important to a true double entry accounting system. Are there any plans on including this crucial component?

(12-09-2012, 06:47 AM)tim_schofield Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 06:22 AM)dan123456 Wrote: That seems very odd. The general journal is one of the first things that I learned about in my accounting classes. Are there any plans to add the general journal as a feature?

Hi, you can view the General Journal by going to the General ledger module, and then choosing `Account Listing` to view as a pdf or `Account Listing to csv file` to view in a spreadsheet format.

Hope this helps,
Tim