Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BOM & Work Orders questions [SOLVED]
06-02-2017, 04:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 11:04 PM by trentmurgatroyd.)
BOM & Work Orders questions [SOLVED]
I have read and reread the manual, but I am still confused (sorry).

In the context of BoM, what is the "location" and what is the "Work Centre Added"?
In other words...
- is WC where the work is actually performed
- is location where the items are stored
or are/can/should they be the same?

Then, in the context of a Work Order
- It seems the factory needs to match the location code otherwise the BoM gives an error (or have I set something up incorrectly)

(I can put together a graphic if the question is ambiguous)
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
whatsapp/viber:+27718987802
pidgin/XMPP:t13@jabb.im/t14@jabb.im
06-02-2017, 09:27 PM,
RE: BOM & Work Orders questions
Hi, Trent,
The work centres should be added at Manufacturing=>Work Centre link.
Location is warehouse setup.
Maybe we should remove locations in my opinion.
Best regards!
Exson
06-02-2017, 10:15 PM,
Thanks for the reply Exson.
(I think) I understand the part(s) about where to set them up, but what I'm confused about is what they represent/mean. By way of an example...
If I set up a BOM with say Location=Lab, and then create a WorkOrder with Factory location not=Lab, it gives me an error message (...This could be because there is no bill of material set up ...etc). Works OK if =Lab.

If on the same BOM I use Work Centre Added as Lab, it seems to have no effect (and if I set it to eg. StoreRoom it also has no effect)
In other words, it seems like it must be set as: Factory=Location
Is it correct to say that workorders.loccode=bom.loccode?

What does the WCadded(bom.workcentreadded) represent in real world terms? Is this factory where the BoM is put together?

Thanks

(06-02-2017, 09:27 PM)Exsonqu_Qu Wrote: Hi, Trent,
The work centres should be added at Manufacturing=>Work Centre link.
Location is warehouse setup.
Maybe we should remove locations in my opinion.
Best regards!
Exson

Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
06-03-2017, 12:05 AM,
Basically Trent you are right that location is for where the stock should come from, and work centre is the place the work takes place, though the location can also be perceived as the factory, and the work centre the machine.

The BOM was designed badly, it should have two separate tables, a header and a body. There are also some bugs in the script, such as the inability to edit a line when you have the same component in more than one position in the bom. It all really needs a re-work but requires care so as not to screw up the work order and MRP functionality.

Tim
06-03-2017, 12:49 AM,
Thank you (all).
I will update my experimental system and post results once it's working
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
06-05-2017, 06:12 PM,
Following on from the discussions/help from everyone...I have a workable system. Not ideal, but getting there (as in, I'd like to bounce a few more ideas off you all Smile)
I modeled the system around the real-world transactions. So ...
Lab has a W/O#1 for the PreWeighs. IssueTo materials come from Store. Store then Receives the FinishedProd PreWeighs, and this W/O is closed.
BlendPlant has W/O#2 for the bulkMix (PreWeighs are just a part of that BOM). IssueTo is again from Store. However, once closed, the BlendPlant receives the bulkMix to itself...against W/O #3 (packaging of the bulk into buckets). Once done/closed, Store receives the finished items. They can then be move from Store-warehouse to Shop-warehouse. This is all working OK. I will clean up my notes etc and post a link to them in a few days time.

My question is ...

For the above method, issues are exact to BOM (ie. if recipe needs 7.56kg of flour, that's what gets "issued", and there are no materials returns except for the finished product).
What would be ideal, is if I could issue the actual bag (eg.20kg) and then ...automatically deducting what's used at the BlendPlant ...get back the balance.
Any hints or experience on setting this up?

I have set up the inventory like this ...
eg. flour...units:kg
purchaseData: supplierUnits=20kgBag ConvertFactorToOurUnits=20
and BOMs are simply in kg or each
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
06-05-2017, 06:53 PM,
Hi Trent, you can issue a negative amount to a work order, effectively moving the amount back to stores. So in your example you would issue 20kg of flour, and then issue a figure of -12.44kg back into stock. It won't do this automatically but would you want it to? Can you guarantee that you will always get 12.44kg back, and not 12.3kg or 12.5kg?

Tim
06-05-2017, 08:15 PM,
That was/is a concern. I was thinking that I would assume the full amount on a return (if it was automatic) and then do a "stock write-off" for the difference - I just didn't/don't know how to set that up.
If I am understanding you correctly ...
I must create an extra/separate W/O @factory=Store... and then (return)IssueTo the W/O, any "excess" stock with IssueFrom=BlendPlant (probably initially created at the same time as other W/O's for the full amount, but adjusted at time of actual receipt)?
W/O's on my current method are
#1 LabPW (issueTo:Store, recvTo:Store)
#2 BlendPlantBULK (issueTo:BlendPlantWO#2, recvTo:BlendPlant)
#3 BlendPlantBKTS (issueTo:BlendPlantWO#3, recvTo:Store)
and I will add
#4 BlendPlantRETURNS (issueTo:StoreWO#4, recvTo:Store)
Does that seem about right?
Thanks again
Trent
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
06-06-2017, 02:14 AM,
Hi Trent, I am a bit confused as to why you would need the extra work order? My understanding is that against one of the work orders (#2 ?) there is a requirement for 7.56kg of flour, and this is the amount on the BOM. If you want to issue a full bag of 20kg to the work centre you can do this (assuming autoissue is turned off in the BOM). Then at some point _before_ this work order is completed you can then return unused flour to the same stores you issued it from by doing a negative issue against the same line in the WO that you did the earlier issue to. This is important so as to keep the costing for the work order correct. Have I misunderstood?

Tim
06-06-2017, 02:49 AM,
doh! yes - your way is far more logical/sensible.
I was trying to separate each process into a physical step, but in this context it doesn't make sense.
I will try it your way and see how it looks.
Thank you!!
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net