Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Item: Assembly vs Kit vs Phantom [SOLVED]
04-13-2017, 11:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017, 11:06 PM by trentmurgatroyd.)
Item: Assembly vs Kit vs Phantom [SOLVED]
I am slightly confused about which of these to use.

We manufacture&sell sports supplements. We have a small shop that sells the stock, and a small lab that blends. We also sometimes send items to an external lab to blend. We buy bulk raw materials & powders.

If I create items (eg. glutamine) - it has a container,lid,seal,spoon,sticker(all each) and some powder(kg).
The item is sold in the shop, so I need to know the stock of that to track sales, but if it's an assembly, stock holding doesn't work/exist.

What is the best/recommended option for this scenario?
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
whatsapp/viber:+27718987802
pidgin/XMPP:t13@jabb.im/t14@jabb.im
04-14-2017, 12:53 AM,
RE: Item: Assembly vs Kit vs Phantom
I would say the answer was none of these. I think what you need are manufactured items. You create an item Glutamine, then you create a BOM with container, lid, seal, spoon, sticker and powder as the constituent items. Then you create a work order to make Glutamine. It reduces the stock of the constituent parts, and create a stock of Glutamin.

As for the external lab, assuming the materials remain your property, then it is just a different stock location and you do transfers between them.

Hope this helps,
Tim
04-14-2017, 01:37 AM,
(04-14-2017, 12:53 AM)falkoner Wrote: I would say the answer was none of these. I think what you need are manufactured items. You create an item Glutamine, then you create a BOM with container, lid, seal, spoon, sticker and powder as the constituent items. Then you create a work order to make Glutamine. It reduces the stock of the constituent parts, and create a stock of Glutamin.

As for the external lab, assuming the materials remain your property, then it is just a different stock location and you do transfers between them.

Hope this helps,
Tim

I had the BOM, but Blush I didn't see the "manufactured" option.
Very helpful. Thanks Tim.
04-16-2017, 07:18 AM,
Hi Trent, I updated my PLM using webERP and Manufacturing using webERP tutorials to clarify that the item must be configured as Manufactured in order to create a work order for it.

Do you recall how you created the BOM? The Main > Manufacturing > Maintenance > Bill of Materials screen only lists items that are configured as Manufactured. Did you find a backdoor to create a BOM for an Item not configured as Manufactured?

Fwiw, you can set an Item to be not Manufactured after you have created a BOM, which could be useful if you want to maintain a BOM but purchase the assembly already manufactured from a sub-contractor. I'm not sure if there are any side-effects of this though.
http://www.dalescott.net
04-16-2017, 07:28 AM,
Hi Dale, it should also allow you to set up a BOM when the item is of type Assembly or Kit.

Does it not allow you to?

Tim
04-16-2017, 11:20 PM,
Thanks for all the info and replies guys. Much appreciated.
I initially set up the item as a Phantom. Also tried Assembly, and Kit. All of these allowed me to do the create part, but the inventory part wasn't working that way. The Manufactured option is a best fit for my needs.
I have checked out the tutorial which was the basis of how I set up my system (Thanks for that part). It leads me to another question on the topic.

Instead of setting up via Standard Cost, I did it like this ...
Create Item (& as needed, create BOM)
Maintain Purchasing Data (I assumed that I needed to capture separate supplier costs instead of "standard", since most of our items can come from multiple vendors).
However, if I now look at my manufactured/assembled items, they don't show a cost (yet). (I am trying to replace a previous system, so I am recapturing all the old data here).

The 2 questions are
1) Is this a valid method, or should I change it before I get too deep into it.
2) I tried various mysql settings to alter AUTO_INCREMENT values on the tables so that I could match up the PO numbers with the old system, but even though they seem right in mysql, when I add another PO it reverts to its own value. Is there somewhere else I need to look for the vals?

Thanks
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
04-17-2017, 03:02 AM,
Hi Trent, the purchasing data is to record potential (possibly qualified) vendors as a convenience for purchasing. Standard cost is a way to value your inventory (should you use standard cost for inventory valuation). Your actual PO cost will likely never be the same as the entered "standard cost", which means there will be a variance to deal with when you close your books at the end of the year. Accounting standards generally allow several other methods besides "standard cost", which may be better suited for your business (webERP also supports weighted average).
04-17-2017, 03:31 AM,
(04-17-2017, 03:02 AM)dalescott Wrote: Accounting standards generally allow several other methods besides "standard cost", which may be better suited for your business (webERP also supports weighted average).

Would it be "valid" to update the Standard cost to the latest/current value of the chosen supplier's price for that item?
Thanks
Trent Murgatroyd
trent@murgatroyd.za.net
04-17-2017, 08:03 AM,
You need to speak to the accountant of the company to ascertain the policy for valuing stock. Essentially the accounting standards say it should be valued at the lower of it's cost, or it's saleable value. However there is more than one way to achieve this, but a company shouldn't really change it's policy on this without the consent of the auditors.

The purchase order number is taken from the systypes table, as are most of the numerically ordered documents. If you want to change the starting number for something like purchase orders you need to set the value in that table.

Hope this helps,
Tim
04-17-2017, 08:33 AM,
(04-16-2017, 07:28 AM)falkoner Wrote: Hi Dale, it should also allow you to set up a BOM when the item is of type Assembly or Kit.

Hi Tim, I'm sure you're right. I was thinking of only of assembly vs purchased, and forgot about the other item types.