Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trial balance does not balance
03-11-2017, 08:56 PM,
Trial balance does not balance
Recently upgraded from 4.12.13 to 4.13.1. Since the upgrade, two issues have appeared

1 - A new GL account created does not list on Trial balance and cannot be deleted since it holds a transaction post

2 - One half of a journal entry has been posted to 'other GL accounts' rather a proper account code according to the log.

Consequently, the TB no longer balances. I have run the repost GL transactions script and the recalculate balances coming forward and neither have worked.

What do we need to do?
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM,
RE: Trial balance does not balance
I think what has happened is that the user doesn't have authority to view this account, and so it is not being included in the TB. As the TB just adds up the values of the accounts it displays, this shows the TB to be out of balance.

Maybe this shows a weakness in the account authorisation system. If I get a chance I will look into it, but for now your issue should be solved just by giving authorisation for that new GL code to the user.

hope this helps,
Tim
03-15-2017, 10:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-15-2017, 10:39 AM by sync700uk.)
Thanks but account created does not show on the list of accounts that can be authorized. The user is a system administrator so it looks to be a deeper problem
Ok. resolved but suggest this is a bug/needs error trap

New accounts created must be added to list of accounts for the user through the 'user authorized GL accounts' call and not the 'GL account authorized users'.
Think it might be best to automatically add all new accounts created to all users but automatically default to unauthorised except for system administrators so sysdamin has to then go and authorise where necessary

Incidently. Congrats on this feature. Extremely powerful and useful for delegation purposes

03-17-2017, 01:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM by dalescott.)
@sync700uk, if you have a minute, can you say why you find this powerful, and briefly describe what it would allow you to do? Sorry to be such a noob....... Thanks.
http://www.dalescott.net
03-17-2017, 07:25 PM,
Hi Dale, there are many advantages that I have seen for this. For instance I have a customer with branches in Mombasa, Nairobi, Kampala, and Dar es Salaam. They want their branch managers to have the facility to post to and view the codes that refer to their branch only. This functionality allows them to do this. Also they don't have the visibility of head office accounts such as directors salaries and expenses :-)

Achieves confidentiality, but also stops potential error of one branch accidentally posting to another branch.

Tim
03-19-2017, 05:24 AM,
Concur with Falkoner. In my case, I have a accounts administrator being trained on coding purchase orders. I don't want him to have full GL code listing for each PO Only the account codes I have authorized him for to reduce the risk of mis-posting

Also using it to provide half-a-dozen account codes to staff to code their expense claims with. They would be confused and deterred by a long-list of GL codes to pick from

03-19-2017, 05:49 AM,
(03-19-2017, 05:24 AM)sync700uk Wrote: Also using it to provide half-a-dozen account codes to staff to code their expense claims with. They would be confused and deterred by a long-list of GL codes to pick from

I remember being a new engineer and was given a full GL code list and told to figure it out for expense reports and po requests. It was the supervisor's responsibility to catch errors before approving.
03-19-2017, 06:50 AM,
Anything the system can do to minimise the opportunities for a user to make an error has to be good surely?

Tim
03-19-2017, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017, 08:02 AM by dalescott.)
Sorry everyone, my intention wasn't to criticize, I was just sharing a "solution" I had previously encountered. I should have at least <winked> instead of implying that users just have to get it right. <wink>

Warning, potentially pedantic rant coming, .... Of course a system _should_ prevent errors, but my pragmatic side also wants to consider the development cost and risk, how presumably making the product more complicated will affect users in day-to-day operation, if it makes future development more complicated, and what the likelihood and severity of making an error is in the first place - including whether the error will be noticed in the normal course of events (or if it can be tested for), and the cost of an ad hoc fix (assuming it will be possible using the normal UI to correct the error in a way that leaves a visible and understandable audit trail).

IMHO. No inference to webERP is intended or should be implied! Smile

Cheers,
Dale