Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logo Size Issue / Form Edit for Invoice and Quotation
11-19-2017, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017, 03:30 AM by VortecCPI.)
Logo Size Issue / Form Edit for Invoice and Quotation
Just checking to be sure...

I made the logo a maximum of 170 x 80 and it collides with the word "Quotation".

Is there a form editor for Quotations and/or Invoices? Any idea as to why I am seeing this issue with a properly-sized logo?
I tried a little experiment by resizing the logo.jpg file and the PDF still shows the large logo. It appears the system is using the first logo I uploaded, which was way too big.

This has got to be a simple mistake on my part. What am I missing?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker
11-20-2017, 04:00 AM,
RE: Logo Size Issue / Form Edit for Invoice and Quotation
UPDATE...

Thought the documentations states logo size of 170 x 80 the PDF generation code inserts the logo at 60 height and thus scales the image.

I believe what I may be seeing here is the difference between A4 format and Letter format.

I will stat on it and share as I discover...
11-20-2017, 12:55 PM,
You can edit the invoice format

It is called PrintCustTrans.php or PrintCustTrans_portrait.php
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
11-20-2017, 10:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017, 11:07 PM by VortecCPI.)
Thank you Phil. That is where I was working but I was just wondering if we had the same soft of slick editing ability like we have with the other Form Designer XML-based documents.

The only comment I now have is that there are a few inconsistencies between Landscape and Portrait font sizes and text positions in the Sales Quotation PDF code. I also do not see a column for UoM so I need to add that as well.

It also appears Tax is shown both at the line item and then again as a total so it is being show twice but only added once.

No complaints here... Just making sure I understand...
11-21-2017, 12:13 AM,
When I wrote the form designer it was met with some hostility so I didn't do any more of the forms with the xml templates. It's quite easy to see how they work and I am sure if you have time to add to the xml templates it would be appreciated Smile

There are some places in the world where it is normal to include the tax in a quotation/order, and others where it id not. There has been discussion about this before, and it seems like we may have ended up with the worst of both - though I say that without looking into it, and it may be this has nothing to do with those discussions.

Tim
11-21-2017, 02:34 AM,
Tim - Thank you for additional input.

As a long-time coder I am okay with altering the PHP code but for others this may not be the case. I am quite surprised to hear you got pushback on the XML-based Forms Designer. I happen to like it very much, especially for novice users.

I actually considered extending the code base to add an XML template for Invoices and Sales Orders but time will not permit me to do this right now. We have people selling products so getting webERP ready to fulfill orders is number one priority along with tidying up SuiteCRM. After that comes an integration between the two so Sales Orders can be generated in SuiteCRM and then picked up by webERP for fulfillment. Not sure if I will use phpxmlrpc or my own middleware as have done so many times in the past. A few years ago I created my own API to to manage data between Anuko, BOLD, MantisBT, and our OO data system and it worked great.

And one more little comment with respect to Quotations / Sales Orders PDF output...

We will have T&C clause at the bottom of the Quotation / Sales Order (via Comments) and it does not produce proper line breaks so I will have to work on that a little bit...
11-21-2017, 06:19 AM,
We've really tried to make the PHP accessible and of course the PHP is much more flexible that any XML forms designer. IMHO, it was actually harder to get the result you wanted with the XML designer than by manipulating the PHP - although I am biased and naive it is a fundamental goal of webERP to have the PHP readable by business folk so they can make the system sing for themselves.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
11-21-2017, 08:13 AM,
Well most users won't even be aware that it uses XML, all they do is fill in some values to a simple web page that was created using PHP so I don't really get that argument. Surely filing those values in is easier than learning PHP and then ploughing through each script and changing them. Then ploughing through them again each time they upgrade.

Another advantage of the form designer is that you can create different layouts for different companies, so you could have two different companies on your webERP system, but have different layouts for invoices etc for each company.

Anyway these are old arguments and I'm not going to get into them again.
11-21-2017, 06:32 PM,
I did have a play with the idea of using plain html and css to print these documents. This had a few advantages, such as the scripts became much simpler to read, they could be printed automatically from the interface (something that has been asked for on these forums), they could still have different formats per company (by storing individual css files for each report by company), people who wanted PDFs could still print to a PDF file rather than to the printer, and it would make producing a WYSIWYG form designer easier. However I couldn't find a way to email the documents automatically directly from the interface which is something I know a lot of people use (at least not simply and in a way that didn't involve emailing a number of different files).

Tim
11-22-2017, 12:47 AM,
Tim & Phil,

In my opinion both of you are correct within a given context. As an experienced coder (since 1983) I have no issue editing the PHP files. They are well written and easy to decipher thanks to good guidelines and practices used by the developers of webERP. I always look to the PHP code as a last resort to be sure I fully understand other configuration variables that may play into what I see when using webERP. If I know I must modify the code I do so as required to meet our needs. In this case I can alter the PHP code faster than I can alter the XML-based Form Designer so it is economical in my context.

On the other hand... A person who does not have coding experience would really appreciate the XML-based Form Designer. If the report is not XML-based he or she must acquire a developer and every change to a PHP report requires scheduling of, and a payment to, the developer. In that case the Form Designer saves time and money. If the webERP user is a startup or small business every hour and every dollar saved can mean a lot.

As an S-CORP owner involved in many startups I can see where both scenarios come into play. In this particular case I am one of the owners of the startup so modifying the code is no problem. Before I was on board the other owners would have had to define and fund a budget to implement webERP. Funding would not have been a big issue but time to delivery would have proved daunting to the business.

Reporting differences aside what is under the covers of webERP is quite impressive so far and I thank you both for all your hard work...