Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add a text field to Sales Orders that will show up on Invoices
08-31-2016, 02:04 PM,
Add a text field to Sales Orders that will show up on Invoices
Hi all!

Just wondering what would be the best way to go about adding a field that can be editing during the order creation process and that will then appear on the invoice for that order? I provide services on a project basis, and it's useful for my clients (and myself!) to have a general description of what project I'm invoicing for. Since a lot of my time is billed hourly over several days, I would love to be able to enter that "project description" when creating the order with the first day's line item, and then have it automagically show up on the eventual invoice.

My current idea is to re-purpose/rename the "Comments" field from the Delivery Details and then alter ConfirmDispatch_Invoice.php so that the (also renamed) "Invoice Text" is auto-filled with the Delivery Details "Comments". This seems to me to be the simplest change that will achieve my goals.

The other option would be to create new fields specifically for the purpose, but I see that as being more work for not any much more payoff.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

-Russ
08-31-2016, 02:11 PM,
RE: Add a text field to Sales Orders that will show up on Invoices
Well - the other thought I had is to simply display the order line comments on the invoice? This is just a parameter setting.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
08-31-2016, 02:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM by Russell Ault.)
(08-31-2016, 02:11 PM)phil Wrote: Well - the other thought I had is to simply display the order line comments on the invoice? This is just a parameter setting.

Are you referring to the "Line Item Narrative"? If so, I use that for that date/times/activities of that particular line item (typically with one line item per shift), but I'd still like a way to put a project description on the overall invoice, which might include several shifts as line items, sometimes with additional expenses.

In theory this might end up being a useful enough feature to consider including it in the project for other people to use. I can't be the only one who invoices on a per-project basis and would like a way to record a description of that project from the first iteration of the sales order to the final invoice.

I guess the question is: is it worth it to implement something like this "properly", or should I do my slightly kludge-y hack and get on with it?

Thanks!

-Russ
08-31-2016, 07:02 PM,
Hi Russ, I think you are correct the comments field is the best one to use. The only challenge would be getting the invoice layout correct.

Thanks
Tim
09-01-2016, 01:10 PM,
Hi, Russ,

Have you tried the contract feature of weberp? It's more like a project cost management part.
Thanks and best regards!

Exson
09-01-2016, 03:47 PM,
(08-31-2016, 07:02 PM)falkoner Wrote: Hi Russ, I think you are correct the comments field is the best one to use. The only challenge would be getting the invoice layout correct.

That's not a challenge that worries me too much; I already have an invoice format that I'm rather partial to, and I assumed I'd end up spending a few hours mucking around in PHP to implement it.

(09-01-2016, 01:10 PM)Exsonqu_Qu Wrote: Have you tried the contract feature of weberp? It's more like a project cost management part.

Actually, up until you mentioned it just now I hadn't even heard of it! Having read through the manual section on it, I feel like it's probably overkill for my application. I'd say 90%+ of my invoices contain only hourly labour at a pre-agreed set rate, so I think the Contracts module would end up adding more complexity than I need. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

-Russ
09-01-2016, 07:22 PM,
Hi Russ, in that case I would go ahead with it. Perhaps a config flag similar to the one for displaying the line narrative would be good? That way others could use your change but it would be optional.

Tim