Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contractors, working cycles and code changes
05-02-2016, 06:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-02-2016, 06:48 PM by digpittt.)
Contractors, working cycles and code changes
Hi,
suppose I have a row-casted item that I buy with a code, then I send some to a contractor/supplier to sand-blast and when they come back I store them with a different code, then in my workshop some are painted and then they are stored with another different code: haw can I manage this kind of movements to have the right quantities of row, sand blasted and painted parts?
Off course I could use "Quantity Adjustments", but maybe there is a better solution.
Thank you.
05-02-2016, 07:09 PM,
RE: Contractors, working cycles and code changes
Yes there is a better way.

If you have a part A that is sent to a contractor and then returned as a part B, then set up a BOM for B containing just part A with a quantity of 1 (you can also include a service item in it for "Sand-blast"). Then create a work order for a part B, issue a part A to it and then receive that part B into stock. Then your stock is correct, and what is happening on the system reflects what is happening in real life.

Tim
05-03-2016, 02:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 02:19 AM by digpittt.)
Thank you for your answer.

I tried the way you suggested and here are some considerations (that can be wrong, while I'm am absolutely new with weberp):

a) in order to add a work-item to the BOM I have to create a category "Stock Type" = Labour (otherwise, if I set the "sandblasting" item property "Assembly, Kit, Manufactured or Service/Labour" = Service/Labour, it's not possible to set a cost)

b) after that, the BOM is ok and also the cost is correctly calculated

c) if now I open a WO and receive the items the quantities in the stock are ok

but

d) the sandblasting is made by a contractor, i.e. a supplier, so I think I should enter a purchase order instead of a WO , but in this case the cost is not what I expect to be, because if I buy the sandblasted item it's cost includes the raw material (as it is in the BOM), while if I buy sandblasting, of course the cost is not calculated on the BOM quantity (a multiple of the unitary cost) but on the unitary cost

I am again stuck...
05-03-2016, 05:44 AM,
Aren't you only buying the sandblasting from the supplier not the sand blasted part? In this case the purchase order would only be for the sand blasting. This is no different than the purchase order for the initial item.

The purchase orders and the work order are for separate purposes. The work order is to transform the part from it's initial state to the new sand blasted state.It wouldn't be sent to the supplier, it is merely in order for the transformation to take place in your books.

Tim
05-03-2016, 08:26 PM,
Of course sand blasting cost is different for different items, so, if I have well understood, in order to manage purchase orders I must create a specific sand blasting item for each item to be sand blasted.
That is:
row part code = A
sand blasted A = A1
sand blasting A = A2
BOM of A1 = A

WO for A1 to manage stock quantities
PO for A2

In case I change the sand blasting supplier, or the cost change, I have to manually update all the sand blasting items.

Correct?
05-03-2016, 08:40 PM,
You will need the BOM for A1 to consist of A and A2. The main reason you should use separate codes for each sand blasting type is one of costing, so that the BOM pulls in the correct the costs for each item.

You also need purchase orders for A and A2 but that is a separate issue from how to convert an A into an A2.

Thanks
Tim