Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding some dates
06-12-2012, 08:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012, 08:48 AM by phil.)
RE: Adding some dates
I like the idea of building some business logic around product life cycle. However, I am a bit unsure about the logic you are proposing nor how it should be done.

I guess we would want to know when and item became TEST - so the stockitemcreateddate is necessary. Then how long was it in TEST (perhaps a new field for categorychangedtoactivedate - if it is in BAD - how can we now tell as the last category change was from ACTIVE to BAD. How does the period it was in ACTIVE give you any indication of when to change it to BAD? I guess the table I proposed for changes in the productlifecycle flag would give you the dates logged (if necessary - read on). I would have thought that the sales performance of the product in relation to the stock holding and the existence and capability/pricing of competing products would be more of an indicator of when to change it in the life cycle flag - it is not really about the passage of time at all... is it? (Interested in your comments here Ricard - why is time important in determining where a product sits in it's lifecycle - I can think of some products that keep on giving?)

I think that the stock categories based on where a product is in it's life cycle is an interesting idea, but not what I had really intended stock categories for. Normally I would expect the stock category to group like products not based on performance or position in their life cycle but on the function/type of the product. Using stock categories as you are proposing is a fudge for what your particular business is trying to acheive rather than a generically useful model IMHO. Perfectly valid for your business, but not for many/most.

Categorising items based on their life cycle I think is a good idea. But using the stock category to group products based on their life cycle doesn't seem like a great plan to me and I expect would not have generic appeal.
e.g. I would want to know not just how many items I have at the BAD stage, but how many "Set Top Boxes" I have at the BAD stage as well - where "Set Top Boxes" is an inventory category in a consumer electronics store.

I really do think a different field for stageinlifecycle is appropriate. You could make it so changing this flag alters the GL postings. Perhaps we create a table as we have for sales postings for stock postings so GL posting codes are derived from a combination of factors rather than being solely on stock category as things stand.

What we need I think is a method for webERP to determine those products that had a peak sales that have now tapered off - this then alters the flag to BAD when the sales reach say 5% of their peak or other configurable percentage. This will have to be done on some statistical basis where sales units for the last period are gathered from sales analysis and the statistics run - with periods of no stock removed - to get the trend. This mechanism would need to factor out those products whose sales have fallen off because of periods of stock outs.

An interesting topic and an area I don't know enough about to be really useful sorry.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

Messages In This Thread
Adding some dates - by PakRicard - 06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
RE: Adding some dates - by opto - 06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
RE: Adding some dates - by PakRicard - 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: Adding some dates - by phil - 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM
RE: Adding some dates - by PakRicard - 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Adding some dates - by phil - 06-07-2012, 06:26 PM
RE: Adding some dates - by PakRicard - 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM