Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we delete a GL entry
05-28-2012, 01:58 PM,
Can we delete a GL entry
Can we delete a GL entry wrongly posted.

Please Help

Regards
05-28-2012, 07:43 PM,
RE: Can we delete a GL entry
No - you must reverse it with another entry.
In single user software it is common to allow deletion of GL entries. However, this is big NO NO in multi-user systems.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM,
I'm not an accountant, but I think in the USA, that GAAP, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, wants audit trail on everything, thus the reversing entry is a good idea. Keeps employees from doing things they shouldn't as well.
06-03-2012, 06:56 PM,
Thanks for the guidance.
06-25-2017, 10:01 PM,
But what if it was a typo or an extra leading zeros

Surely we could have deleted it and then allow a supervisor login to approve it and then keep an audit trail off that too.

Wouldn't that logic still work with GAAP?
Muzammil Saya
Whatsapp: +923028204345
06-25-2017, 10:25 PM,
No. As an accountant I would say that anything that allows the changing of a GL entry after it has been posted is a _very_ bad thing. The only systems I know that allow this are the systems aimed at the one person business like QB, which are really designed to just provide a transaction list and reports to pass onto an accountant at a later stage for production of accounts.

I do remember using a system once (though it was many years ago and I can't remember what it was) where the transactions were posted to the system by a user, but didn't appear in the GL until approved by someone else, and so could still be changed. My experience of it wasn't that good though, it just caused delays, and then hard pressed supervisors would just authorise stuff without really looking at it, thus negating the point.

Thanks
Tim
06-25-2017, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017, 10:36 PM by sayamuzammil@gmail.com.)
Valid point

I think we [MAY] have an issue in Pakistan as our tax laws are very strict regarding void invoices and purchase orders.

I will have to re check this with out tax consultants and cheif accountants on this aspect and get back to you.

Thanks
Muzammil Saya
Whatsapp: +923028204345
06-25-2017, 10:43 PM,
Most of the time the problem of additional zeros being entered can be stopped at the input stage. For instance you can set limits on over receiving purchase orders so that if an order was for 50kg and somebody tried to do a GRN for 500kg against it, the system can be set to stop you. Likewise if the price on the order was 1,000 PKR and user accidentally put in 10,000 PKR on the invoice the system can be set to stop them.

Tim