Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multiple user editing the same PO/SO
05-23-2012, 05:56 PM,
multiple user editing the same PO/SO
There is something I always wanted to ask, now I am having more staff and the issue arises again.

If a staff opens a new PO and saves it, it is in the queue. He can open it again and work from where he left off until he commits.

But if he opens it and is editing it, and another user goes in and opens it and work on it as well and saves it, what happens to the things worked on by the first user, or vice versa?
05-23-2012, 07:56 PM,
RE: multiple user editing the same PO/SO
I think that is lost, at least the code looked like that for WO.

Transactions are used for the storage in the db, so if something goes wrong there, it will not be inconsistent but either the new or the old.

One would need to lock the record once a person starts editing (and need to unlock it automatically after some time, in case someone stops to work on it).
05-23-2012, 11:06 PM,
Hi, Rongwong:

I think the result is up to who is the last to save the PO. Operation from both of them will be run as normal in the system. webERP will keep the last update and create a record about the edit history. It's not hard to test it.

Best regards!

Exson

(05-23-2012, 05:56 PM)ronwong Wrote: There is something I always wanted to ask, now I am having more staff and the issue arises again.

If a staff opens a new PO and saves it, it is in the queue. He can open it again and work from where he left off until he commits.

But if he opens it and is editing it, and another user goes in and opens it and work on it as well and saves it, what happens to the things worked on by the first user, or vice versa?

05-24-2012, 01:12 AM,
sounds logical,

so if original is ABC,

user1 goes in and change it to ABCD

user2 goes in and change to ABCE and save. THe datebase is updated as ABCE

if user1 saves his work after user2, it will be updated to ABCD and user2's work would be lost.

Solution, I will assign one 1 PO clerk and each person enter their own orders.
05-28-2012, 10:45 PM,
I am hoping that the audit trail file keeps the detail of what these users do, it looks like it might. Users like to point fingers of blame.

I think it is generally a good idea for users to work on their own sales orders, invoices, and purchase orders.

On maintenance files like for customers and items, whoever changes the file last wins. If two people change the customer file at the same time, and one changes the phone number and the other changes something else, they are unaware of the other persons change. A rewrite of the save routine could be written to know that someone else changed a field of a record that you were also working on, but this would be a lot of code to write.
05-29-2012, 06:36 AM,
The audit trail will show the SQL updates that were processed and by whom.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
06-12-2012, 09:04 PM,
Hi, sometime, when all bugs are solved... I guess it should be looked into... because it would then truely make webERP into a full business tool. At least a warning that it has been edited would be fine. We are also working on sharepoint, and the way they do it is check out, so no one else can touch it when you lock it out.
06-12-2012, 09:23 PM,
Here, updatedtime for records could help.

start edit, get server or db time as editstart time.
save: request last updatedtime - if before editstart time, all is ok, and save, if not, someone stored in between.

Klaus