Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
01-19-2014, 05:32 AM,
Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
Hi all,

A while back, Tim Schofield asked about the next installment of documentation for a WMS. Later today, I hope to have MaryBeth upload a Receiving Document for WMS. She worked on the system I was responsible for developing a few years ago and was an integral part of development, including documentation and testing. The Receiving document is hers.

I uploaded a document on Cycle Count last year. It's the way to introduce existing inventory to a new WMS. See the thread Warehouse management, bin locations, barcode scanning, etc.,
05-20-2013, 05:06 AM.

Receiving is the way to add further inventory to the warehouse on an ongoing basis. The design we did has several important features:
  • forklift operator can be scheduled multiple jobs
  • forklift operator can be assigned different types of jobs (picking, moving, etc)
  • if warehouse office sees that the unload count does not match the PO and Bill of Lading, the job can be assigned again, to the same or different operator.
  • In general, there is lots of flexibility, so jobs like scheduling vendor deliveries can be done efficiently.

Read the document for the full description.

Which will be uploaded shortly. Happy reading!

Buz
01-19-2014, 06:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 06:56 AM by Buz.)
RE: Warehouse Management Systems (WMS)
Hello,

My name is MaryBeth and I am not yet a registered WebERP forum user.

The attached document is uploaded from Buz's login. I have over 11 years experience in Warehouse Management and I hope that the attached document will be useful to you.

Please let me know what you think and post any questions you may have.

Best Regards,
MB

Attached Files
.pdf   WMS Receiving.pdf (Size: 511.76 KB / Downloads: 52)
01-19-2014, 09:24 PM,
(01-19-2014, 06:51 AM)Buz Wrote: Hello,

The attached document is uploaded from Buz's login. I have over 11 years experience in Warehouse Management and I hope that the attached document will be useful to you.

Best Regards,
MB

Thanks Buz/MaryBeth, looks very interesting. I shall try and add my comments on how I see this fitting with webERP.

Thanks
Tim
01-20-2014, 05:38 AM,
Tim,
Thank you for your feedback. If you have any questions just let me know.
Best Regards,
MB
07-02-2014, 02:26 AM,
(01-19-2014, 06:51 AM)Buz Wrote: Hello,

Best Regards,
MB

Thanks for the PDF Buz/MB! It was a great read.

Even if you look at it from a management viewpoint, physical inventory counts at the end of the year are supposed to help business operate smoothly by bringing records into alignment. Cycle counting eliminates most problems stemming from physical counts.

I actually found an article on cycle counting that talks more about the same. I think the key take away from both your PDF and the article is that cycle counting becomes an inventory management improvement initiative that doesn’t require a major investment in equipment, outside services, or human resources, although it does require more employees to be trained effectively with whatever warehouse management system you're using and not just one person in management (but I think the training far outweighs having them do physical inventory counts every year).