Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bank accounts by webERP user
11-26-2013, 11:38 AM,
Bank accounts by webERP user
Hi all:
Now every user with rights to the GL scripts has access to ALL company's bank accounts.

Reality we face is most users do only need access to a subset of the bank accounts: some work with local banks, some with international suppliers, so need acess to foreign currency accounts, some only for manager use, etc, etc.

Besides the confidentiality issue (if a user does not need to know something, why does she have access?) there is the human error. If she can select from a dropdown menu with 30 options it's more likely to make a mistake than if she has a dropdown of 3 options

So I propose to create a table userbankaccounts containing only the bankaccount code and the userid, to maintain the link. Then all the SELECT statements in webERP containing bank accounts can be JOINed by this table, so we only show the bank accounts relevant to the user.

Does it make sense to all of you? Any ideas or improvements?
Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-27-2013, 10:54 AM,
RE: Bank accounts by webERP user
Hi, Richard,

It's a great idea!

Considering the implement method, is adding some authority token better than creating a table? Just like the price authority in webERP now.

Thanks and best regards!

Exson
11-27-2013, 11:01 AM,
(11-27-2013, 10:54 AM)Exsonqu_Qu Wrote: Considering the implement method, is adding some authority token better than creating a table? Just like the price authority in webERP now.

Hi Exson:

I 'm afraid I did not understand your point.

As I understand the price authority, a user has (or has not) the right to work with prices in ALL webERP.
For bank accounts what we need is a N:M relationship, some users can work with some bank accounts.

How do you propose to do it with a token? I'm lost Huh
Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-27-2013, 12:20 PM,
(11-27-2013, 11:01 AM)PakRicard Wrote:
(11-27-2013, 10:54 AM)Exsonqu_Qu Wrote: Considering the implement method, is adding some authority token better than creating a table? Just like the price authority in webERP now.

Hi Exson:

I 'm afraid I did not understand your point.

As I understand the price authority, a user has (or has not) the right to work with prices in ALL webERP.
For bank accounts what we need is a N:M relationship, some users can work with some bank accounts.

How do you propose to do it with a token? I'm lost Huh
Hi, Richard,

what I said is that we could set a token range for instance 20-30 to reserve for those bank accounts, then we use a array to hold it. Each token stands for one bank account. When those roles need it, we can add these tokens to it.

Does that make sense?

Thanks and best regards!

Exson
11-27-2013, 12:48 PM,
Hi Exson:

Now I see your point, but won't it ne too complicated? Bank accounts get added, changed or cancelled during business life. Users as well...

How large the token range should be? depending on bank account numbers, but for a business with multi-currency, multi-location and milti-user it can be quite large (close to 50's - 100's won't be a exaggeration).

What is the advantage of tokens vs a new table?

Tim's idea of adding a flag is a good one. We can add the field to the table and then use it depending on the script.

Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-28-2013, 01:42 PM,
(11-27-2013, 11:26 AM)timschofield Wrote: Does it make sense while we are doing this change to add a flag for whether that user can add transactions to the bank account or just view it? Maybe it is overkill?

Tim

Hi Tim:

After checking a bit the scripts involved, I could not find any that makes sense (to our business, at least Confused) to have "read only" rights to a bank acount.

payments.php ("write rights" on bank account or NO access)
Customerreceipts.php ("write rights" on bank account or NO access)
BankReconciliation ("write rights" on bank account or NO access )
BankMatching ("write rights" on bank account or NO access)

As this flag won't be difficult to code, I'm willing to do it, but not sure where it will make sense to you. Where will you need this "read only" access?
Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-29-2013, 12:22 PM,
Hi all:
Just commited this modification.
- 2 SQL sentences on the last upgrade SQL file
- Included in the main menu array (also moved the bank account maintenance script to GL module, seems more logical it stays close to GL accounts maintenance scripts)
- A new script BankAccountUsers to maintain the new table
-Modified scripts Payments.php, CustomerReceipt.php, BankReconciliation.php and BankMatching.php to only allow the selection of the previously authorized bank accounts.

It works for me, but happy to know any improvement or ideas to get a tighter control on who does what with company's money in webERP.
Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-29-2013, 10:32 PM,
Hi Tim:
Sorry, I never used these scripts. I could find the DailyBankTransactions.php but could not find the Monthly on my SVN copy. Anyway I updated and committed the Daily one.
Regards,
Pak Ricard
11-30-2013, 10:09 PM,
Hi, Richard,

Thank you for your great work!

Best regards!

Exson