Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Work Centers on BoM Items?
11-17-2018, 10:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-17-2018, 11:18 PM by VortecCPI.)
Why Work Centers on BoM Items?
As I work on the addition of Work Centers to Work Orders I realized we have Work Centers on BoM items. In our case BoMs consist of only raw materials so there will never be a Work Center associated with any of the BoM items. Since we do not have an option for NONE I created a Work Center named "None", which is a bit of a hack since it requires location context. We also have a PK-FK constraint on this field so as of now a selection is mandatory. Technically a small operation could issue Work Orders with no real Work Center -- The Work Center is the entire small site.

If we issue a Work Order to a Work Center it is to create a new part from raw materials and/or subassemblies. The raw materials would have no Work Center and neither would the subassemblies because they were already created via another Work Order on a Work Center with another BoM. If a BoM item requires a Work Center that implies work must be done to the part in which case it becomes a new part.

I realize the whole Work Center thing is still being thought out but I am thinking we either need to remove Work Centers from BoM items or add an option for None.

And... When printing a Work Order the Work Center is now on the Work Order, not the BoM items. We should issue one Work Order to one Work Center. Since we do not have real routing I think we need to keep things simple.

Any thoughts on this?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker

Messages In This Thread
Why Work Centers on BoM Items? - by VortecCPI - 11-17-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: Why Work Centers on BoM Items? - by phil - 11-18-2018, 09:46 AM
RE: Why Work Centers on BoM Items? - by VortecCPI - 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM
RE: Why Work Centers on BoM Items? - by VortecCPI - 11-20-2018, 09:09 PM