Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parts & BOMs - Something I am missing?
04-29-2015, 08:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-29-2015, 08:51 AM by janb.)
Parts & BOMs - Something I am missing?
In our company we hardly produce nothing from raw materials, only occasionally.
Most of our parts is either bought or produced by external companies. We do most assemblies into finished products.

Some BOMs can become quite big, 500-700 single items.
In practice most of the parts is parts of sub-assemblies, down to 7 levels mixed with fasteners for mounting and subs.
..and i thought i could do this in weberp as well.

My first approach was to use Assembly Items and realized that that was a bad idea. In my head an Assembly is an assembly of items to a product in a practical aspect.
Changing Assemblies to Manufactured instead was the only option left.
This part seems to work quite well (if it is correct).

My next approach was to use Phantom in our master BOM trying to keep track of both subassemblies, sequences and fasteners for mounting subassemblies in a logic order.
The reason for using Phantom was to tie mounting items to the same level as the sub-assembly in our master-bom. Seems also to be a good idea, this gave me a quite pretty and understandable bom list!

The problem i discovered today was that Phantom Items shows up in "List Components Required" reports as shortage. I thought Phantoms should be treated as a container of Items in BOMs? ..not as an item itself in reports?
Is this a bug in the report or is it my approach that is wrong?
I must say I am really confused!

The next problem i saw in the same report is that Items used in a Manufactured "Assembly" shows up both as shortage for the parts but not for the "assembly" itself.
I will try to explain:
IF i am using lets say 10 Items in a Manufactured "Assembly", makes a Work Order for 5 assemblies, gets the finished assemblies back, items are auto-issued from stock, and i have 5 sub-assemblies ready for the master assembly.
All single items (parts) are correctly drawn from stock an my sub-assemblies rises with 5 in stock.
The report "List Components Required" show all 5 assemblies available, but 5x10 parts used as shortage.

I am now in a situation where i am very unsure of my approach to how this should be done in weberp. Am i doing this completely wrong?
I am absolutely not an ERP expert but trying to learn while walking.
Anyone that can telling my what i am doing wrong?

JanB

Messages In This Thread
Parts & BOMs - Something I am missing? - by janb - 04-29-2015, 08:43 AM