Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow the use of vouchers
02-28-2014, 03:15 PM,
RE: Allow the use of vouchers
(02-28-2014, 11:29 AM)PakRicard Wrote: This is getting interesting :-)

I agree on "we create a script where these were issued, and which updated a table with voucher number (debtor no??) expiry date, and value." Then we would only need to adapt the POS script to use vouchers. Just 2 extra fields are needed, one for voucher amount and 1 for voucher code (probably voucher code is enough, as we already have the amount stored in the DB). Then when storing the payment, process both payments, one in legal tender money and one in voucher money.

Phil: "Issue of vouchers are a transfer from one bank account to another".
I like the idea of treat the issued vouchers as bank accounts, but not so sure if they ARE a transfer. When you create vouchers, you create a liability out of thin air (like real world banks create debt), so I can't see the origin bank account. I see more logical Tim's approach, creating the voucher out of the marketing P&L account.

I think trying to reuse the bank account tables as a voucher table would be wrong. It's not really a bank account, and if one is created it could accidentally be used elsewhere causing confusion. I think it should be a separate table. It would also mean creating additional fields in the bank account table for expiry date, voucher number and amount which make no sense outside of this functionality.

Quote:Tim. As I understand, vouchers giving a % discount ARE sales discounts (I agree with Phil's first post POV) and can be handled perfectly with current POS script. I don't feel we need a different treatment on those. The problem came with fix amount vouchers, as they are a different beast.

They are sales discounts, but not payment discounts, as the VAT implications are different for each. Also companies may still want to track vouchers even as % off.

Quote:So far, fix amount vouchers have:
-webERP code
-Value
-Expiry date
-Minimum amount of purchase to be used
-Number of Identical Vouchers Issued
-Number of Identical Vouchers Used
-Printed Code (can be NULL, for identical vouchers)

Identical Vouchers: In case we have 1.000 identical printed vouchers value "50 USD OFF", should we keep 1.000 rows in the table, or just one row and a counter? I think 1 row and a counter

For vouchers with printed code (1 physical voucher has 1 code), We would need 1 row for each voucher, and Number of Identical Vouchers Issued = 1

We should code:
1 script to maintain the voucher table
1 script to reverse non-used vouchers

This should probably be one script doing both jobs

Quote:Modify POS script to use vouchers as another system of payment
We should also modify CounterSales.php and Payments.php for consistency
Quote:Modify System Configuration to store the GL account of the bank account used for issued vouchers

We don't need a vouchers table and a bank account table. For reasons I said above using a bank account table is just a hack here as the liability isn't really a bank account. For correct accounting the account should show as a current liability not as a negative current asset.

Thanks
Tim

Messages In This Thread
Allow the use of vouchers - by PakRicard - 02-22-2014, 12:27 PM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by phil - 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by Forums - 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by PakRicard - 02-27-2014, 10:55 AM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by Forums - 02-28-2014, 01:50 AM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by phil - 02-28-2014, 05:35 AM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by Forums - 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by PakRicard - 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM
RE: Allow the use of vouchers - by Forums - 02-28-2014, 03:15 PM