Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Orders With Multiple Items - Context?
12-02-2018, 08:44 PM,
RE: Work Orders With Multiple Items - Context?
(12-02-2018, 11:20 AM)briantmg Wrote: I create a lot of work orders with no BOM. Sometimes we don't have the time to make a BOM. So we issue the materials to the work order. Some times, rather than buy a specific size of material for a part, we don't add material to the bom and use what we have in stock. For example, a lathe part that has a finish diameter of 0.80 inches, could be made from 7/8, 1in, 1-1/8... stock. We use what we have or what we can get.

I am not bothered either way. At the time I couldn't think of any use cases where you would want it, but clearly there are. So from my side I am happy to leave it as possible for all M type products to be included in a work order.

Tim
12-02-2018, 09:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2018, 09:32 PM by VortecCPI.)
(12-02-2018, 11:20 AM)briantmg Wrote: I create a lot of work orders with no BOM. Sometimes we don't have the time to make a BOM. So we issue the materials to the work order. Some times, rather than buy a specific size of material for a part, we don't add material to the bom and use what we have in stock. For example, a lathe part that has a finish diameter of 0.80 inches, could be made from 7/8, 1in, 1-1/8... stock. We use what we have or what we can get.

Very interesting as when I tried this Std Cost Labour and Overhead values were lost and inventory values in GL did not match actual values via Inventory Valuation report or simple qty x Std Cost calculation.

So this is sort of an ad-hoc use... I see how that could be very useful... Thank you!

Now I just need to figure out why it does not work on my end...

Are you using:
+ Integrated GL @ INV?
+ STD cost or WAC method?
+ Labour and/or Overhead cost values on parts?

Any feedback s greatly appreciated!
So... To add raw material such as bar stock to a Work Order you have set it as a Manufactured Part? To add Labour to the Work Order it would also have to be set as a Manufactured Part, right?

PHP Code:
WHERE (stockcategory.stocktype='F' OR stockcategory.stocktype='M')
AND 
mbflag='M' 

Now I feel a bit lost again...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker
12-03-2018, 11:18 AM,
I guess you are rolling up the BOM cost to the cost of the item.... However, it is also possible to set the standard cost of the manufactured item without reference to any BOM. The variances are calculated against the existing standard cost.... no variances with WAC as the cost is updated directly with the variances.

With reference to the sort of manufacturing webERP was built for: Smaller manufacturers up to say USD $30m
I have worked as CFO/Financial Controller/Finance Manager for
a) Menswear suits manufacturer - with detailed routings by work centre - time/motion studies etc and piece work bonuses - for 5 years - very expensive materials where great efforts went into maximising the yields for each lay - using lay-planning software integrated with CNC cutting machines.
b) Automotive Coil and leaf spring manufacture - with bar taper/peeling machine/coiling/shot-peening/powder coating/ taper rolling/assembly - 4 years - ran MRP with spring steel ex Japan with 9 month lead time and stock turnover of 12 times per annum - with deliveries 2 x per day to customers morning and lunchtime.
c) Plastic injection moulding and extrusion - making plumbing pipe fittings, waste traps, toilet cisterns. Also, brass forging, copper fittings with plastic encapsulation, brass turning plumbing fittings with CNC and old cam automatic lathes - for 9 years. We ran full MRP and capacity planning by machine - as dies would only go in certain machines with stock turnover of 6 times per annum by the end of my tenure - it was just 2 times per annum when I kicked off! Unfortunately, die set up time was too long and so large quantities were required to be run - which led to stock holdings more than would have been ideal. More effort was really needed to get die changes done quicker.
d) a custom design and metal jobbing shop making industrial fans, pneumatic conveying plant and lumber drying kilns - for 5 years

I have seen a number of ways the cat has been skinned and tried to apply what I thought best to webERP. No doubt there are better ways - but hopefully the rudiments are there to build on.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
12-03-2018, 08:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2018, 08:42 PM by VortecCPI.)
Thank you for excellent feedback -- Greatly appreciated.

So now I have to find out why in 4.14.1 I have in inventory value issue as noted here: http://www.weberp.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=8253 Seems to me as if I may have made some sort of mistake during my testing.

If Std Cost values are rolled from the bottom to the top then that makes sense but then I believe we should not be able to enter these values at the top parent level. I will reset my default instance and do more testing today at the customer site. This customer has an AS/400-based system that does not roll up these costs so they are forced to manually maintain cost values at the top parent levels manually. Crazy...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/eclipsepaulbecker