Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Data Importing Processes
05-28-2012, 05:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2012, 06:17 AM by Rock*Star.)
Data Importing Processes
I am working on my first webERP system for a client and stumbling through the learning process along the way. I am learning the system backwards because I am a programmer, not a user, and my first task is to data convert the data from the soon to be "old" system.

I thought I would begin a narrative. I think it could help others later, and I could use some help along the way.

I will further fine tune the data import procedures later as I have further discussions with the client on changes that they want made to the way webERP currently works. I hope they are minimal, but there will be changes, this will be an adventure.

I did the customer file first and you cannot do the customer file, debtorsmaster without also doing the customer branches file, custbranch. The old system had a "ship to" file which is similar in concept, but they had a choice to ship to the address stored in "debtorsmaster" or to a "custbranch" address, or to one time shipping locations so the sales orders and invoices had to retain the ship to address on a document by document basis.

I have the item file and warehouse files loaded, stockmaster and locstock.

I have sales order header and sales order items, salesorders and salesorderdetails.

Now, I have to get the invoice header and invoice lines files into webERP which looks like debtortrans and stockmoves will be my main insert files. Hoping I can do gltrans, stockmovetaxes, audittrail, debtortranstaxes transactions later and they won't stop me from getting simple invoice history into the system.

Periods and salesanalysis might also come into play

I think I am going to pause first and talk to the client. I would rather not have to dig into importing all the types of things that can happen with invoices, including credits and debits, and write offs, and so on. Hopefully I can just have them start with open sales orders, and give them historical reports by the union of old system and new system data via a report writer.
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM,
RE: Data Importing Processes
You can import the customer transactions into debtortrans which accumulates the customer balances - but without importing the stockmoves, or stockmovestaxes and debtortranstaxes which the invoice requires.
Better to import salesanalysis if you can as this stands alone with the customers/branches without the tax complications (as all amounts are net of tax in there). The sales analysis reporting is powerful IMHO.
Interested to hear of your journey!
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
05-28-2012, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM by Rock*Star.)
RE: Data Importing Processes
Invoice import might not be so bad. It looks like the files have the detail to support each other. After a day of fighting through multiple iterations of my program because of foreign keys and so on I think I was just a little tired. I could just not charge for some of my time to the client and get things the way that I really want them to be.

I want all the data there, and I want to make it through the learning curve so that the data relationships are in my brain so that I know this software well.