webERP Forum
Document Automation? - Printable Version

+- webERP Forum (http://www.weberp.org/forum)
+-- Forum: webERP Discussion (http://www.weberp.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How To ? (http://www.weberp.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Document Automation? (/showthread.php?tid=215)

Document Automation? - eddiej - 05-03-2012

I am new to weberp and am just checking it out to see how well it would work for my company.

I am thinking it would/could be a custom report but I don't see how to have that much text in a report.

Basically I would like to create a service contract. So it would be for one dummy item but for the contract terms and conditions I would like to be able to fill in the customer information, contract terms, sales person, contract length and price in the appropriate places.

I have looked around a bit but don't see any examples of this type of thing.

Any thoughts?

RE: Document Automation? - phil - 05-04-2012

This is an ERP/accounting system - sounds like you are after a word processor?

RE: Document Automation? - eddiej - 05-04-2012

haha, ok i am not that much of a noob. (no offense taken or meant)

Maybe a bit more explanation.

Customer gets a new network system and 5 computers, labor to install and train on the system.
I know how that works in weberp, no problem.

At the time of sale the customer would also get a service contract. For 1 network and 5 computers prorated until the end of the year, and then it becomes reoccurring for the next x years. It is a contract with lots of ... party of the first part ... mumbo jumbo, but the customer info, dates, equipment covered, and salesman info all can come from weberp.

The salesman in the field would be able to create all of the necessary documents quickly and send them in pdf to the customer. In the office we get all the info and can track all contracts and payments.

For the accounting side the service contract would move the revenue into unearned income, have a monthly ledger entry to move from unearned income to earned income service contract, and at the end of the year we make it a reoccurring transaction for the next x years.

Then if/when something needs to be serviced for the customer we can create an invoice for the service with a full discount to keep track of how often and what type of service is required and then at the end of the year be able to tell how much we actually made off that contract.

I could use a word processor to create the contract part, but I would prefer the open source, web based solution where the data all comes from the same database, transactions get entered, and I can make reports to keep track of the contracts, dates, usage, salesman, etc.

It doesn't look like this has come up before for other users, or they saw a different solution, but I just thought I would ask.
thanks,
eddiej

RE: Document Automation? - phil - 05-05-2012

Ah I see - the accounting for a contract ... well yes we can do this with contract costing.
You make up a contract for the service contract and the work done for the customer is issued to the contract. Then the annual billing is when the contract is invoiced and you can get a nice little comparison of the costs of the contract vs the revenue.

HTH