webERP Forum

Full Version: table prefix instead of database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just a request, could it be possible to consider using table prefixes for new companies instead of requiring a new schema for each one (similarly for the initial set-up: database prefix actually appends the prefix to the database instead of the more useful and common prefix to table names)...
Most MySQL-heavy suites I know of make that an option. I am willing to contribute code towards it if necessary... what is the rationale behind having database prefixes instead of table prefixes anyways?
Hi serakfalcon,

(02-25-2014, 11:25 AM)serakfalcon Wrote: [ -> ]what is the rationale behind having database prefixes instead of table prefixes anyways?

I wondered the same (see http://www.weberp.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=973).

My own thoughts as per that thread were that perhaps in some automated install process for a hosting company, pre-pending database with user name might be done. Although I can't picture an actual use case. One could just add the prefix in the database name in the installer. I'd be interested to hear of some use cases too.